Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hey, it´s Matt´s Birthday today

Okay, let me just respond to everyone´s posts about Halloween. You see, Matt doesn´t really get ¨dressed up¨ for Halloween. He figures out a way to humor me without making himself uncomfortable. He was ¨arroz¨ so our friend Emily took one of his blank white t-shirts and wrote, ¨Arroz, Producto de Panama¨ on it. Yeah, I wore the construction paper chicken fixin´s.

Well, now for the updates. Unfortunately for everyone involved, I got really sick again. Matt and I were at our site for 4 days before we had to head back to the hospital. I was initially diagnosed with ameobas and then sent to rest at a hotel. Unfortunately after a couple of days, I got worse and had to go spend the next 3 nights in the hospital. While I was in the hospital, a piece of Matt´s tooth broke! Lovely.

So, we are currently in Panamá dealing with medical and administrative issues. Matt got his tooth repaired on Friday and I´ve been trying to lay low while my guts heal. Today we went to the Catholic church in our neighborhood, called Don Bosco. It´s a beautiful church built in the 1800´s and has mass every hour on Sundays, starting at 7:00am. The 11:00 am mass was packed. Tonight Matt wants chicken from one of his favorite restuarants down the road from our hotel.

Oh, and Matt´s Mom sent me an email to let me know that I got a check from my former employer because they decided that I should not have had to pay for parking throughout my tenure there. I´m so happy I could do cartwheels...well that might not be a good idea at this juncture! I always resented having to pay for parking! Life is unfair, but sometimes, justice is served.

In other news...my college roommate Olga, who as many of you know, is from Panama, has emailed me. She and her husband and daughter will be visiting Panama for Christmas and New Year´s and she has invited Matt and I to visit her parent´s house at some point. We´re very excited. Olga is currently living in Germany, so it will be great to see her and meet her family.

Stay warm...heard it´s in the 40´s up there.

7 comments:

dches said...

Happy Birthday Matt - Hope you guys can get through your physical ailments and get settled in Panama. I know you are both up to the task. You are in our thoughts and prayers on a continuous basis. Love you guys and ZZ and Niki both say woof, woof!

Michael Gardner Cox said...

happy birthday old pal. sorry a day late. send me your shipping address/phone/email. i have a present.

Tim said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sheehey!
You two take of your selves!

CoCo said...

i miss you guys!!!! sorry to hear about all the med stuff going on. are ya'll moving? and are you gonna be at quetzales? let me know!

Erika K.H. said...

Feliz cumple, Matt! Lisa, I hope you feel better soon.

Great news about Olga. Was wondering where she went off to. Now we have two (Olga + Yohanna) SMCs in EU, and I should be there, too!! Hey, but cannot complaint, can I? I am in the land of roos. It is getting warmer here, ready for some serious summer time outings to do. Hope you return soon to your destined pueblo and do wonderful things with the community.

KRS2 said...

Hi Matt, & it's good to meet you, Lisa!

Mike Cox told me that you are in Panama. I think that is so cool. I am sure it will be an adventure. Enjoy it! I am a teacher in Boston.

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year,

Jed Stamas

dches said...

Matt and Lisa,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from both of us.

We love you and miss you both so much!

Glad you had a very nice day on Christmas.

Love,

Mom and Dad